If you have a question, please send it to us.
1) Is there any Microsoft documentation for Office Add-ins ?
link - docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/add-ins/
link - developer.microsoft.com/en-us/office
2) Is there a forum for questions about Office Add-ins ?
Post your questions in the Microsoft Q&A forum with the topics "office-js" and/or "office-addins".
link - docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/topics/office-js-dev.html
link - docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/topics/office-addins-dev.html
There is also a forum on Stack Overflow with the "office-js" and/or "office-addins" tags.
link - stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/office-js
link - stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/office-addins
link - stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/outlook-web-addins
3) What is the difference between Office Add-ins and Office Scripts ?
Office Add-ins uses the "Office JS API" which is asynchronous (and more advanced).
Office Scripts uses the "Office Scripts API" which is synchronous.
Office Scripts is a subset of Office Add-ins.
link - docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/scripts/resources/add-ins-differences
4) What type of features and capabilities are possible with Office Add-ins ?
For introductory information about Office Add-ins, check out the Office Add-ins platform overview article:
This article describes various ways that Office Add-ins can extend and interact with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook.
It also contains links to other resources for learning more about the Office Add-ins platform and APIs.
link - docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/add-ins/overview/office-add-ins
5) Are there any hello world examples ?
Yes. Microsoft has examples which have been uploaded to their Office Add-in Samples repository on github.
link - github.com/OfficeDev/Office-Add-in-samples/tree/main/Samples/hello-world/
We have also uploaded some examples to our repository on github.
link - github.com/OfficeAddins/
6) Are there any regular calls for users to connect with the development team at Microsoft ?
Here is a List of Previous Calls that have taken place.
7) Can I use TypeScript to create an Office Add-in ?
Yes. VS Code has a lot of support for TypeScript.
8) What is the quickest way to create an Office Add-in ?
The fastest way is to use the Yeoman Generator scaffolding tool.
9) If I have found a bug how should I report it ?
Log issues in the GitHub repository if you discover a bug in the API.
(for example, if an API works in Excel desktop but not in Excel on the web).
link - github.com/OfficeDev/office-js
10) Will the Office Add-ins functionality and features ever be equivalent to that of VBA or VSTO ?
100% parity might not be possible, due to the multi-platform nature of Office Add-ins, and the fact that certain Windows functionality is not achievable on other platforms.
11) Can we migrate our existing COM add-in to an Office Add-in ?
There is no simple migration path, you will have to create the Office Add-in from scratch.
Not all the functionality in your COM add-in will be available in the Office JS APIs.
© 2022 Better Solutions Limited. All Rights Reserved. © 2022 Better Solutions Limited TopPrevNext