Questions - Numbers
1) What is Place Value ?
Also known as Partitioning.
How the value of the number depends on where the number is placed.
H | T | O
2) What is Base 10
Our number system is based on multiplying by 10 (base 10).
3) What is Composing and Decomposing of Numbers ?
Composing - joining groups or a set of numbers, to make another number.
Decomposing - breaking numbers down to their component parts.
4) What is an Even Number ?
An even number is a whole number that can be divided by two into two equal whole numbers.
An even number can be quickly halved.
Be able to quickly double numbers.
5) Is the number Zero, odd or even ?
6) What are a pair of Numbers ?
A set of two numbers or objects linked in some way is said to be a pair.
7) What is a Digit ?
A digit is part of a number.
Some numbers can be written with just one digit (eg 7 has one digit, 25 has two digits, 234 has three digits).
8) What are Consecutive Numbers ?
Consecutive numbers are numbers that follow each other in order (from smallest to largest without gaps)
22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 are consecutive even numbers.
9) Is the sum of three consecutive numbers always divisible by three ?
10) What is a Sequence ?
A set of numbers, shapes or quantities placed in order according to a rule.
11) What is Ascending order and Descending order ?
Ascending Order - Arranging numbers (or other items) from smallest to largest.
Descending Order - Arranging numbers (or other items) from largest to smallest.
12) What are the Four number operations ?
Addition and Multiplication make whole numbers (Integers) larger.
Subtraction and Division make whole numbers (Integers) smaller.
13) What is Addition ?
The process of calculating the total of two or more numbers or amounts.
Adding is the same as plus, increase, find the sum, how many altogether.
The opposite or inverse of addition is subtraction.
14) What is the Sum of 2 Numbers ?
The sum of two numbers is the answer you get when you add them both together.
15) What is the Sum of 2 to 6 ?
2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 = 20
16) What is 15 more than 5 ?
(5 + 15) = 20
17) A pencil is 20cm long. What is twice its length ?
(20 + 20) = 40cm
18) What is double 15 ?
(15 + 15) = 30
19) What is the Total of 2, 3 and 4 ?
2 + 3 + 4 = 9
20) Dave has 3 bags of sweets. Tom has 2 bags. There are five sweets in each bag. How many sweets are there Altogether ?
(3 + 2) * 5 = (5 * 5) = 25
21) What is double fourty three ?
43 + 43 = 86
22) What is Subtraction ?
The process of taking a matrix, vector, or other quantity away from another under specific rules to obtain the difference
Subtracting is the same as take away, minus, find the difference, find the change, decrease, reduce, deduct.
The opposite or inverse of subtraction is addition.
23) What is six less than 30 ?
(30 - 6) - 24
24) Subtract forty five from ninety six ?
(96 - 45) = 51
25) Subtract 5,135 from 8,400 ?
26) What is a Positive Number ?
A number that is greater than zero.
27) What is a Negative Number ?
A number that is less than zero.
28) Is Zero a positive or negative number ?
Zero is not positive or negative. It is a neutral number.
29) What is minus 2 add minus 2 ?
(-2) + (-2) = -4
30) What is minus 2 add 3 ?
(-2) + (3) = 1
31) What is minus 2 minus minus 3 ?
(-2) - (-3) = (-2) + (3) = 1
32) What is Multiplication ?
The process of combining matrices, vectors, or other quantities under specific rules to obtain their product.
Multiply is the same as find the product, times, groups or lots of.
The opposite or inverse of multiplication is division.
Multiplication is commutative.
33) What is the Product of 2 Numbers ?
The product of two numbers is the result you get when you multiply them together.
34) What is the Product of 2 and 6 ?
(2 * 6) = 12
35) What does the word "OF" mean ?
Of means multiply
36) Can you Multiply 10 by 6 ?
(10 * 6) = 60
37) What are four tens ?
(10 * 4) = 40
38) What is 36 times two ?
(36 * 2) = 72
39) What is the answer "=2(2+4)"
This is calculated as "=2 x (2+4)"
A number next to (or outside of brackets) means the number is multiplied by what is inside the brackets.
40) Is multiplying by 30 the same as multiplying by 3 and then 10 ?
Multiplying by 30 is the same as multiplying by 10 and then multiplying by 3.
Multiplying by 30 is the same as multiplying by 3 and then multiplying by 10.
41) What is Multiplication - Long Method
Also known as Multiply With Regrouping
42) What is Multiplication - Compact Method
43) What is Multiplication - Grid Method / Area Method ?
The Grid Method involves partitioning numbers into tens and units before they are multiplied.
44) What is Division ?
The process of separating something into parts or the process of being separated.
Divide is the same as share or split into equal amounts, partition or fractions.
The opposite or inverse of division is multiplication.
The answer in a division calculation is the Quotient.
45) If 29 was divided by 7 what would the remainder be ?
(4 * 7) = 28 and (29 - 28) = 1
46) Divide 136 equally into 4 equal groups ?
47) What is 200 divided into groups of 25 ?
48) What is a Divisor ?
The amount that you are dividing by.
It could be a whole number, a fraction or a decimal.
49) What is Division - Long Method
Also known as Divide With Regrouping
50) What is Division - Compact Method
Also known as Short or Bus Stop Method
51) What is the Bar Model method ?
Is a problem solving strategy.
This method uses a picture representation (with bars and boxes) to represent the known and unknown quantities.
52) What must I take away from 279 to make 146 ?
(279 - 146) = 133
53) How to add up a lot of small numbers ?
Write them all underneath one another and subtotal as you go
54) Add five to the sum of twelve and eighteen ?
5 + (12 + 18) = 35
55) Take nine from the sum of fifteen and thirteen ?
(15 + 13) - 9 = 28 - 9 = 19
56) What does Estimate mean ?
A sensible/realistic "guess" at the position of a number on a number line or at the quantity of objects in a set.
57) Can you estimate and approximate number sums ?
Estimate how many buses pass our house every day.
Estimate how many people will be on the next bus that passes our house.
58) How many different ways (or combinations) can you arrange 3 digits ?
(3 x 2 x 1) = 6
59) How many different ways can you arrange 5 digits ?
5 Factorial - (5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1) = 121
60) What is BODMAS ?
BODMAS is an acronym to help children to remember the order of operations in calculations.
It stands for, 'Brackets, Order, Division and Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction.
When you have more than one operator they have to be applied in a specific order.
61) What is BIDMAS ?
The BIDMAS rule is an alternative acronym to BODMAS. The only difference is that there's an I instead of O
It stands for, 'Brackets, Indices, Division and Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction.
Indices are square numbers, powers and exponents.
62) What is double five plus nine ?
Divide and multiply before add and subtract.
(double five) plus nine = (5 + 5) + 9 = 10 + 9 = 19
double (five plus nine) = 2 x (5 + 9) = 2 x 14 = 28
63) What is 16 + 9 x 2 ?
Divide and multiply before add and subtract.
16 + (9 x 2) = 16 + (9 x 2) = 16 + 18 = 34
(16 + 9) x 2 = 15 x 2 = 30
64) What is a Factor ?
The factors are all the numbers that divide into it exactly. smaller than the number.
A whole number that will divide exactly into another number.
Itself is always a factor.
1 is always a factor.
65) What are the Factors of 36 ?
1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, 36
66) Can a number have an odd number of factors ?
Most numbers have an even number of factors; however, a square number has an odd number of factors.
67) What is the Square Root ?
The square root of a number is the number you multiply by itself to make that number.
The square root of 100 is 10.
The square root of 49 is 7.
68) What is a Composite Number ?
A composite number is a positive number that has at least one factor other than 1 and itself.
1 is not a composite number.
69) What is the Highest Common Factor (HCF) of two numbers ?
The largest number that will divide exactly into both the numbers.
Also known as Greatest Common Factor (GCF) or Greatest Common Divisor (GCD).
70) What is a Multiple ?
When two numbers are multiplied together you get a multiple. larger than the number.
The multiples of a number are the numbers in its times table.
A multiple of a number is the answer when it is multiplied by another number.
71) Can you give me a multiple of 6 ?
12, 18, 24
72) Can you give me a multiple of 9 ?
18, 27, 36
73) Is 132 a multiple of 12 ?
74) What is a multiple of 5 that comes before 345 ?
75) What is the multiple of 10 that follows 340 ?
76) What is the Lowest Common Multiple (LCM) ?
Also known as Least Common Multiple.
The smallest number that is a multiple of all the numbers.
77) What is a Prime Number ?
A number that has only two factors, one and itself.
The first 10 prime numbers are: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29.
1 is not a prime number
2 is the only even prime number
Prime numbers greater than 10 end in 1, 3, 7 or 9
78) What is the difference between a Prime Number and a Composite Number ?
A prime number only has 2 factors, 1 and itself.
A composite number has more than 2 factors.
79) What are the Prime Factors of a number ?
These are the prime numbers which can be multiplied together to make that number.
80) What is a Remainder ?
This is what is left over.
81) Round 546 to the nearest 10 ?
82) When do you Round Up ?
If the decider digit is 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9
83) When do you Round Down ?
If the decider digit is 1, 2, 3, or 4
84) What is a Rational Number ?
These are numbers that can be written as fractions.
They can be made by dividing two integers.
85) What is an Irrational Number ?
A number that cannot be written as a simple fraction.
These are decimal numbers that go on forever with not end.
For example one third as a decimal is an irrational number.
For example the square root of two is an irrational number.
86) How many different methods of rounding are there ?
Decimal Places (dp)
Significant Figures (sf)
Nearest Whole Number (10, 100, 1000)
87) What is a Mixed Number ?
A number is a number that has a whole number and also a fraction.
A decimal number can be changed into a mixed number.
88) What is a Whole Number ?
A positive number that does not have any fractions, remainders or decimals.
0 is a whole number.
89) Is dividing a whole number by a half, the same as multiplying it by 2 ?
90) What is an Integer ?
An integer is a whole number.
91) What is a Real Number ?
There are an infinite number of real numbers.
These are all real numbers: integers, fractions, decimals, rational and irrational numbers.
The opposite to real numbers are imaginary numbers.
92) What is a Squared Number ?
A square number is the result when a number has been multiplied by itself.
The first 10 Squared numbers are: 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100
1 is a squared number.
93) What is a Triangular Number ?
The triangular numbers are obtained by adding all the numbers together that come before it.
The first 10 triangular numbers are: 1, 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, 36, 45, 55
94) What is a Cubed Number ?
A cubed number is the result when a number has been multiplied by itself 3 times.
The first 6 cubed numbers are: 1, 8, 27, 64, 125, 216
95) What is 5 to the power of 3 ?
5^3 = (5 * 5 * 5) = 125
96) What is 3 to the power of 4 ?
3^4 = (3 * 3 * 3 * 3) = 81
97) What is a Natural Number ?
Natural numbers can have two forms: ordinal or cardinal
98) What is a Cardinal Number ?
One, Two, Three, Four, Five
Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten
Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen
Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen
Nineteen, Twenty, Twenty-One
99) What is an Ordinal Number ?
First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth
Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Nineth, Tenth
Eleventh, Twelfth, Thirteenth, Fourteenth
Fifteenth, Sixteenth, Seventeenth, Eighteenth
Nineteenth, Twentieth, Twenty-First
© 2022 Better Solutions Limited. All Rights Reserved. © 2022 Better Solutions Limited TopPrevNext