Questions - Numbers
Underline important words
Show your working out
Check your answer
1) What is Place Value ?
Also known as Partitioning.
H | T | O
2) What is Composing and Decomposing of Numbers ?
Composing - joining groups or a set of numbers, to make another number.
Decomposing - breaking numbers down to their component parts.
3) Is the number zero odd or even ?
4) What are a pair of Numbers ?
5) What are Consecutive Numbers ?
Consecutive numbers are numbers that follow each other in order (from smallest to largest without gaps)
22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 are consecutive even numbers.
6) Is the sum of three consecutive numbers always divisible by three ?
7) What is a Sequence ?
A Sequence is a list of things (usually numbers) that are in order.
8) What is Ascending order and Descending order ?
Ascending Order - Arranging numbers (or other items) from smallest to largest.
Descending Order - Arranging numbers (or other items) from largest to smallest.
9) What is a Positive Number ?
A number that is greater than zero.
10) What is a Negative Number ?
A number that is less than zero.
11) Is Zero a positive or negative number ?
Zero is not positive or negative. It is a neutral number.
12) What is Addition ?
The process of calculating the total of two or more numbers or amounts.
13) What is the Sum of 2 Numbers ?
14) What is the Sum of 2 to 6 ?
2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 = 20
15) What is 15 more than 5 ?
16) What is the Total of 2, 3 and 4 ?
2 + 3 + 4 = 9
17) Dave has 3 bags of sweets. Tom has 2 bags. There are five sweets in each bag. How many sweets are there Altogether ?
18) What is double fourty three ?
19) What is Subtraction ?
The process of taking a matrix, vector, or other quantity away from another under specific rules to obtain the difference
20) What is six less than 30 ?
21) Subtract forty five from ninety six ?
22) Subtract 5,135 from 8,400 ?
23) What is Multiplication ?
The process of combining matrices, vectors, or other quantities under specific rules to obtain their product.
Multiplication is commutative.
24) What is the Product of 2 Numbers ?
The product of two numbers is the result you get when you multiply them together.
25) What is the Product of 2 and 6 ?
2 * 6 = 12
26) Can you Multiply 10 by 6 ?
27) What are four tens ?
28) What is Multiplication - Long Method
Also known as Multiply With Regrouping
29) What is Multiplication - Compact Method
30) What is Division ?
The process of separating something into parts or the process of being separated.
31) What is Division - Long Method
Also known as Divide With Regrouping
32) What is Multiplication - Grid Method / Area Method ?
33) What is Division - Compact Method
Also known as Short or Bus Stop Method
34) If 29 was divided by 7 what would the remainder be ?
35) Divide 136 equally into 4 equal groups ?
36) What is the Bar Model method ?
Is a problem solving strategy.
This method uses a picture representation (with bars and boxes) to represent the known and unknown quantities.
37) I think of a number. I divide it by three and add four. I get an answer of 9. What number was I thinking of ?
38) What must I take away from 279 to make 146 ?
(279 - 146) = 133
39) How to add up a lot of small numbers ?
Write them all underneath one another and subtotal as you go
40) Add five to the sum of twelve and eighteen ?
5 + (12 + 18) = 35
41) Take nine from the sum of fifteen and thirteen ?
(15 + 13) -9 = 28 - 9 = 19
42) Can you estimate / approximate number sums ?
43) How many different ways (or combinations) can you arrange 3 digits ?
(3 x 2 x 1) = 6
44) How many different ways can you arrange 5 digits ?
5 Factorial - (5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1) = 121
45) What is BODMAS ?
BODMAS is an acronym to help children to remember the order of operations in calculations.
It stands for, 'Brackets, Order, Division and Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction.
When you have more than one operator they have to be applied in a specific order.
46) What is BIDMAS ?
The BIDMAS rule is an alternative acronym to BODMA. The only difference is that there's an I instead of O
It stands for, 'Brackets, Indices, Division and Multiplication, Addition and Subtraction.
Indices are square numbers, powers and exponents.
47) What is double five plus nine ?
Divide and multiply before add and subtract.
(double five) plus nine = (5 + 5) + 9 = 10 + 9 = 19
double (five plus nine) = 2 x (5 + 9) = 2 x 14 = 28
48) What is 16 + 9 x 2 ?
Divide and multiply before add and subtract.
16 + (9 x 2) = 16 + (9 x 2) = 16 + 18 = 34
(16 + 9) x 2 = 15 x 2 = 30
49) What is a Factor ?
The factors are all the numbers that divide into it exactly. smaller than the number.
A whole number that will divide exactly into another number.
Itself is always a factor.
1 is always a factor.
50) What are the Factors of 36 ?
1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, 36
51) Can a number have an odd number of factors ?
Most numbers have an even number of factors; however, a square number has an odd number of factors.
52) What is a Composite Number ?
A composite number is a positive number that has at least one factor other than 1 and itself.
1 is not a composite number.
53) What is the Highest Common Factor (HCF) of two numbers ?
The largest number that will divide into both the numbers.
54) What is a Multiple ?
When two numbers are multiplied together you get a multiple. larger than the number.
The multiples of a number are the numbers in its times table.
A multiple of a number is the answer when it is multiplied by another number.
55) Can you give me a multiple of 6 ?
56) Can you give me a multiple of 9 ?
57) Is 132 a multiple of 12 ?
58) What is a multiple of 5 that comes before 345 ?
59) What is the multiple of 10 that follows 340 ?
60) What is the Lowest Common Multiple (LCM) ?
Also known as Least Common Multiple.
The smallest number that is a multiple of all the numbers.
61) What is a Prime Number ?
A number that has only two factors, one and itself.
The first 10 prime numbers are: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29.
1 is not a prime number
2 is the only even prime number
Prime numbers greater than 10 end in 1, 3, 7 or 9
62) What is the difference between a Prime Number and a Composite Number ?
A prime number only has 2 factors, 1 and itself.
A composite number has more than 2 factors.
63) What are the Prime Factors of a number ?
These are the prime numbers which can be multiplied together to make that number.
64) What is a Remainder ?
This is what is left over.
65) Round 546 to the nearest 10 ?
66) When do you Round Up ?
If the decider digit is 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9
67) When do you Round Down ?
If the decider digit is 1, 2, 3, or 4
68) What is a Rational Number ?
These are numbers that can be written as fractions.
They can be made by dividing two integers.
69) What is an Irrational Number ?
A number that cannot be written as a simple fraction.
These are decimal numbers that go on forever with not end.
For example one third as a decimal is an irrational number.
For example the square root of two is an irrational number.
70) How many different methods of rounding are there ?
Decimal Places (dp)
Significant Figures (sf)
Nearest Whole Number (10, 100, 1000)
71) What is a Mixed Number ?
A number is a number that has a whole number and also a fraction.
A decimal number can be changed into a mixed number.
72) What is a Whole Number ?
A positive number that does not have any fractions, remainders or decimals.
0 is a whole number.
73) Is dividing a whole number by a half, the same as multiplying it by 2 ?
74) What is an Integer ?
An integer is a whole number.
75) What is a Real Number ?
There are an infinite number of real numbers.
These are all real numbers: integers, fractions, decimals, rational and irrational numbers.
The opposite to real numbers are imaginary numbers.
76) What is a Squared Number ?
A square number is the result when a number has been multiplied by itself.
The first 10 Squared numbers are: 1, 4, 9, 16, 25, 36, 49, 64, 81, 100
1 is a squared number.
77) What is a Cubed Number ?
A cubed number is the result when a number has been multiplied by itself 3 times.
78) What is 5 to the power of 3 ?
79) What is 5 to the power of 4 ?
80) What is a Natural Number ?
Natural numbers can have two forms: ordinal or cardinal
81) What is a Cardinal Number ?
One, Two, Three, Four, Five
Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten
Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen
Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen
Nineteen, Twenty, Twenty-One
82) What is an Ordinal Number ?
First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth
Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Nineth, Tenth
Eleventh, Twelfth, Thirteenth, Fourteenth
Fifteenth, Sixteenth, Seventeenth, Eighteenth
Nineteenth, Twentieth, Twenty-First
© 2021 Better Solutions Limited. All Rights Reserved. © 2021 Better Solutions Limited TopPrevNext