1) What is Place Value ?
Also known as Partitioning.
H | T | O
2) What is Composing and Decomposing of Numbers ?
Composing - joining groups or a set of numbers, to make another number.
Decomposing - breaking numbers down to their component parts.
3) Is the number zero odd or even ?
4) What are a pair of Numbers ?
5) What are Consecutive Numbers ?
Consecutive numbers are numbers that follow each other in order (without gaps)
22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 are consecutive even numbers.
6) What is a Sequence ?
7) What is Ascending order and Descending order ?
8) Write Numbers in Figures and Words ?
9) What is Addition ?
10) What is the Sum of 2 Numbers ?
11) What is the Sum of the Numbers 2 to 6 ?
10) What is Subtraction ?
11) Subtract forty five from ninety six ?
11) What is Multiplication ?
Multiplication is commutative
12) What is the Product of 2 Numbers ?
13) What is Multiplication - Long Method
Also known as Multiply With Regrouping
14) What is Multiplication - Compact Method
15) What is Division ?
16) What is Division - Long Method
Also known as Divide With Regrouping
17) What is Division - Compact Method
Also known as Short or Bus Stop Method
18) If 29 was divided by 7 what would the remainder be ?
19) Divide 136 equally into 4 groups ?
20) What is the Bar Model method ?
Is a problem solving strategy.
This method uses a picture representation (with bars and boxes) to represent the known and unknown quantities.
21) I think of a number. I divide it by three and add four. I get an answer of 9. What number was I thinking of ?
22) What must I take away from 279 to make 146 ?
23) How to add up a lot of small numbers ?
Write them all underneath one another and subtotal as you go
24) Add five to the sum of twelve and eighteen ?
25) Take nine from the sum of fifteen and thirteen ?
26) What is double five times nine ?
Multiple and divide before add and subtract
27) What is 9 x 22 + 160 ?
28) What is a Factor ?
The factors of a number are all the numbers that divide into it exactly.
Itself is always a factor.
1 is always a factor.
29) What are the Factors of 39 ?
30) What is a Multiple ?
When two numbers are multiplied together you get a multiple.
The multiples of a number are the numbers in its times table.
31) What is a multiple of 5 that comes before 345 ?
32) What is the multiple of 10 that follows 340 ?
33) What is the Highest Common Factor (HCF) ?
The biggest number that will divide into all the numbers in the question
34) What is the Lowest Common Multiple (LCM) ?
The smallest number that will divide by all the numbers in the question
35) What is a Prime Number ?
A number that has only two factors, one and itself.
1 is not a prime number
2 is the only even prime number
Prime numbers end in 1, 3, 7 or 9
36) What are the Prime Factors of a number ?
These are the prime numbers which can be multiplied together to make that number.
37) What is an Integer ?
An integer is a whole number.
38) What is a Negative Number ?
A number that is less than zero.
39) What is a Remainder ?
This is what is left over.
40) Round 546 to the nearest 10 ?
41) When do you Round Up ?
If the decider digit is 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9
42) When do you Round Down ?
If the decider digit is 1, 2, 3, or 4
43) What is a Fraction ?
Tells us how many parts of a whole we have.
A fraction represents part of a whole.
44) What is the Numerator ?
This is the top part of a fraction. How much you have.
45) What is the Denominator ?
This is the bottom part of a fraction. This is the total.
46) How do you reduce a Fraction to its Lowest Term ?
Also known as Simplest Form.
You divide the numerator and denominator by their highest common factor.
47) What is the fraction 16/48 in its lowest term ?
48) What is Two Thirds of 15 ?
What is Four Fifths of 25 ?
What is Three Quarters of 100 ?
What is 5/8 of 56 ?
49) There are 100 sweets, you give 1 in every 2 to your sister, how many do you have left ?
50) What is a Proper Fraction?
A fraction where the numerator is smaller than the denominator
Less than one and greater than zero.
51) What is an Improper Fraction ?
A top heavy fraction where the numerator is greater than or equal to the denominator.
Equal to one or greater than one.
52) What is a Simple Fraction ?
53) What is a Common Fraction ?
Also called a Vulger fraction.
A fraction where both the numerator and denominator are whole numbers (not fractions)
54) How do we Compare Fractions ?
55) What does Renaming a Fraction mean ?
To rename a fraction, you multiple both its numerator and denominator by the same number.
This creates an Equivalent Fraction
56) What is a Rational Number ?
These are numbers that can be written as fractions
They can be made by dividing two integers.
57) What is an Irrational Number ?
A number that cannot be written as a simple fraction.
These are decimal numbers that go on forever without repeating.
For example the square root of two.
58) How many different methods of rounding are there ?
Decimal Places (dp)
Significant Figures (sf)
Nearest Whole Number (10, 100, 1000)
59) What is a Mixed Number ?
A mixed number is a number that has a whole number and also a fraction
A decimal number can be changed into a mixed number.
60) What is a Decimal ?
A decimal is a number whose whole number part and the fractional part is separated by a decimal point.
The dot in a decimal number is called a decimal point.
The digits after the decimal point show a value that is less than one
The digits before the decimal point is always a whole number
61) Can all decimals be converted to an equivalent fraction ?
62) Write these Fractions as Decimals ?
1/2 = 0.5
1/3 = 0.333
1/4 = 0.25
1/5 = 0.2
3/4 = 0.75
63) Change these Fractions to Decimals ?
7/10 , 3/2 , 24/10 , 33/10
64) What is a Real Number ?
There are an infinite number of real numbers.
These are all real numbers: integers, fractions, decimals, rational and irrational numbers.
The opposite to real numbers are imaginary numbers.
65) What is a Percentage ?
Per cent means out of 100.
So 20% means 20 out of 100 or (20/100) as a fraction
66) What is the Mean ?
Also known as Average
This is the total of the items divided by the number of items
67) What is the Medium ?
This is the middle value when values are in order of size
68) What is the Mode ?
This is value that is most common
69) What is the Range ?
The difference between the highest and lowest.
70) What is a Frequency Bar Chart ?
71) What is a Frequency Table ?
72) What is a Pictogram ?
A pictogram is a chart that uses pictures to represent data.
73) What is a Bar Chart ?
Also known as Bar Graph
These blocks are horizontally
74) What is a Column Chart ?
These block are vertical
75) What is a Line Graph ?
Also known as Line Chart
76) What is a Pie Chart ?
77) What is a Frequency Polygon ?
78) What is a Grouped Frequency Table ?
79) What is a Venn diagram ?
A diagram in which data is organised into overlapping circles (and sometimes other shapes).
80) What is a Carroll diagram ?
A Carroll diagram is used to organise data and group it according to whether it fits certain criteria.
81) What is a Ratio ?
A ratio is used to compare two numbers or quantities
When you share out an amount using a given ratio, then each share is a proportion of the total amount.
82) What are the Metric Units for the following:
Length - mm, cm (1cm = 10mm), m (1m = 100cm), km (1km = 1000m)
Area - mm2, cm2, m2, km2
Volume - mm3, cm3, m3, ml, litres (1l = 1000ml)
Mass - g, kg (1kg = 1000g), tonnes
Speed - m/s, km/h
83) Can you change and convert between the different units ?
84) How many millimetres in 3.5 Centimeters ?
85) What is Mass ?
The amount of matter in an object measured in grams and kilograms.
86) What are the Imperial Units for the following:
Length - inches, feet (12 inches), yards (3 feet), miles
Area - square inches, square feet, square miles
Volume - cubic inches, cubic feet, pints, gallons (8 pint)
Mass - ounces (oz), pounds (lb, 16 ounces), stones (14 pounds) , tons
Speed - mph
87) What does Heavy mean ?
Weighing a lot, hard to lift.
When something is heavy we are talking about how much it weighs.
The opposite of heaviest is lightest.
88) What are the approximate conversions for the following:
1 inch = 2.5 cm
1 foot = 30 cm
1 kg = 2.2 pounds
1 litre = 1.75 pints
1 gallon = 4.5 litres
1 mile = 1.6 km (5 miles = 8 km)
89) What does Bearing mean ?
An angle between the direction north and the direction in which you are travelling.
90) What are the Roman Numerals ?
1 = I (capital i), 5 = V, 10 = X, 50 = L, 100 = C, 500 = D, 1000 = M
1 = I, 2 = II, 3 = III, 4 = IV, 5 = V, 6 = VI, 7 = VII, 8 = VIII, 9 = IX
10 = X, 20 = XX, 30 = XXX, 40 = XL, 50 = L, 60 = LX, 70 = LXX, 80 = LXXX, 90 = XC
91) What is Algebra ?
A part of maths that deals with finding missing numbers in equations.
92) What is a plane ?
A flat, 2D surface that extends infinitely.
93) How many days in a year ?
94) How many days in a leap year ?
This type of year has an extra day and occurs once every 4 years.
95) How many days in a month ?
J = 31, F = 28/29, M = 31, A = 30, M = 31, J = 30, J = 31, A = 31, S = 30, O = 31, N = 30, D = 31
30 days has September, April, June and November
96) How many weeks in a month ?
97) How many weeks in a year ?
98) How many years in a century ?
99) How many years in a millenium ?
100) If May 27 is a Wednesday, what is the date of the following Wednesday ?
101) What fraction of an hour is 15 minutes ?
102) If I must arrive at school at 8:45am, when should I start my 25 minute journey ?
© 2020 Better Solutions Limited. All Rights Reserved. © 2020 Better Solutions Limited TopPrevNext